Alley GatorPoster topBLOGArticles and CommentsSongsTimelinePlaylistsAlbumsDatabaseAlbum ListsArtistsPantheonArtist ListsResourcesBits and PiecesTips & AdviceBooks & Websites

Comments - Artists

Alley Gator says:
12/03/11 7:25 pm

What's so special to you about The Doors?
Wild Billy says:
12/05/11 7:31 pm
Alley Gator said: In the Debating the Pantheon discussion, no act has inspired more comment than The Doors. I think they belong in Tier 5 on the basis of their artistry, innovation, and impact. In the eleventh comment in that thread, Linden Arden argued that The Doors were overrated and that "compared with the other artists at the same level in the Pantheon, the Doors just don’t belong." But some Cats want to rank them a whole lot higher. What's so special to you about The Doors?
The Doors are a Tier 5 group in my opinion, but Meg Ryan is Tier 2.
Magic Rat says:
12/06/11 11:58 am
I think the Doors were true greats, and are sorely disrespected in the Pantheon! They had a long list of great songs, including Light My Fire, Break on Through, People Are Strange, Riders on the Storm, The End, Love Me Two Times, Touch Me, Hello I Love You, Roadhouse Blues, L.A. Woman, Whiskey Bar, Love Her Madly. They rocked like no other American band of their time, had a distinctive sound that blended blues, soul and rock, continually pushed the boundaries in the studio and onstage, and created a lot of great music in a pretty short timeframe. When you hear a Doors song, you know right away who it is. I would put them no lower than 3, and would argue that they are as deserving of Tier 2 consideration as CCR or Sly and Family Stone.
jere1911 says:
12/27/11 11:38 am
I vote with those who would rank them higher than tier 5. I would cite (i) the distinctiveness of their sound as a band, (ii) Morrison's distinctiveness and both musical and sexual appeal as a baritone lead singer, (iii) the quality of the songs Magic Rat lists, (iv) their important place in the "cultural moment" in 1967-69, and, last but far from least, the opposite of (v), their appeal to following generations of listeners. Now on the last point my evidence is admittedly anecdotal, judged by the reaction of my daughters and their friends (more than a decade apart from each other so in that respect separate generations by rock standards.)
Linden Arden says:
12/31/11 9:46 pm
Magic Rat said: They rocked like no other American band of their time...
bad habitat says:
02/10/12 9:53 am
Magic Rat said: They rocked like no other American band of their time...
Linden Arden said: I suggest the following bands from the same (more or less) era rocked harder: Allman Brothers, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Grateful Dead, Little Feat, Santana, & Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
Well I like all of these too, and I'm not saying that the Doors are my all-time favorites. But for heaven's sake how could they possibly be rated lower than the bland Police, with the insufferable castrato Sting, as we have in the pantheon. I also think the Doors were better than most of the bands you mention, in that they had ALL the various bits and pieces: Morrison was an outstanding lyricist, one of the greatest ever in rock; he was also a great and distinctive vocalist; each member of the band was a virtuoso of his instrument; the Doors were also stylistically very sophisticated indeed, with their music ranging from rock, to soul to Latin to jazz to blues and even to classical and to Brechtian song. None of the bands you mention had this breadth of achievement. Not even close. By the way 'hard rocking' is a bit of a vague criterion, isn't it?